Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Ubuntu Karmic Koala (9.10 Beta) Buggy Touchpad Behavior

SkyHi @ Tuesday, November 03, 2009
Ubuntu Karmic Koala (9.10 Beta) Buggy Touchpad Behavior

17 Oct 09 by Danilo

I recently upgraded my Dell Precision M90 Laptop to Ubuntu Karmic Koala. I’m running it standalone, no Windows anywhere. When I upgraded using “apt-get upgrade” my touchpad didn’t work. Nothing. The touchpad was completely disabled. I assume that this is a problem on M70’s, ect.

Found a fix after searching for two days — in case you’re having the same problem, here it is.

Open a terminal (if you don’t have a mouse hooked up, use Alt+F2). then “su” and give the root password (I tried doing this with sudo and still didn’t have enough permission. I “think” you need to be root). At the prompt, type:

echo options psmouse proto=exps > /etc/modprobe.d/psmouse.modprobe

At the next prompt, type”

reboot

Your touchpad will come back up after rebooting.

Reference: http://danilogurovich.wordpress.com/2009/10/17/ubuntu-karmic-koala-9-10-beta-buggy-touchpad-behavior/