Wednesday, January 13, 2010

I’m Working 12 Hours a Day. Here are 5 ways I’m Getting Through It.

SkyHi @ Wednesday, January 13, 2010

I have reached the crux – the point between leaving my day job and starting my company full time. In order for the transition to be smooth, I have decided to jump into my business before I leave my company. This means that I am taking on clients and working several hours after work in the evenings to manage everything.

Unfortunately, it means sitting 11-12 hours a day in front of a computer. I am no stranger to hard work, and know exactly how to cope with this kind of situation. I am posting to share my advice on any of you that are in similar prediciments.

Firstly, I understand this is a purely temporary situation and that once I start my business I will spend less time in front of the PC and more time actually interacting with people. But for now, here is what I am doing:

  1. My diet has changed recently to a pure brain-food one. I have completely eliminated all unnatural foods and sugars from my diet for the time being, and primarily live on fresh vegetables and fruits. This means no coffee, no fast food and no processed food. I’m staying away from pretty much anything thats not directly from the ground. I am also taking several brain helper pills to increase the uptake of seratonin, improve concentration and memory and keep me feeling alert 24/7. I’m also on flax seed oil – nature’s highest source of Omega 3’s which are vital for brain function.
  2. I meditate daily. This calms me down and helps me focus. I use breathing techniques, and focus on being mindful and present. I sit in a quiet spot, close my eyes for 15 minutes and forget about the past or the future for a while. I direct my focus towards all the areas inside and part of my body, including my emotions and thoughts inside my head. All the while I take slow, deep belly breaths to stay relaxed.
  3. I take 2-3 minute breaks every 30 minutes, getting up to stretch and relax my eyes. I even do some Tai Chi moves now and then to zing my body up.
  4. I exercise whenever I can. Due to time restrictions, this usually means squeezing in a few laps in the pool during lunch, or doing 30 pushups next to my desk whenever I get the urge. This stimulates both my body and mind, and makes my brain much more alert from the influx of oxygen.
  5. I focus on the task at hand. This is key and I keep asking myself, what is the most important thing I can be doing right now? So whether its blogging or doing work for clients in the evenings, I make sure to stay away from Twitter and Facebook unless I have a business reason to do so.

I will let you guys know how I am progressing, but with these 5 steps that I ‘m taking I literally feel like I can do anything! What are some of your secrets for combating work overload?


Reference: http://www.startupceo.co.za/2010/01/13/im-working-12-hours-a-day-here-are-5-ways-im-getting-through-it/