Monday, January 10, 2011

Read/Write on Mac OSx partition from Ubuntu

SkyHi @ Monday, January 10, 2011
After dual booting with Ubuntu and Mac OS, I could not write on Mac OS partition. However, I must have to find a way to do that as I will move certain things to ext3 partitions to be seamlessly usable by Ubuntu.

While reading online, somewhere I have read that I will need to disable journaling in Mac OS partition to mount it on Ubuntu with writing permission. I wanted to do the same but I saw the Enable/Disable Journaling button is not enabled in Disk Utility. So, after searching I found a command to do that from command line. It is simple.

# diskutil disableJournal /Volumes/Macintosh HD
That’s it. It disabled journaling on that partition. Later on Ubuntu I mounted the drive and I could write on it.

More Info:

Mounting the partition on Ubuntu

sudo mount -t hfsplus /dev/sda2 /media/mac

REFERENCES
http://hungrycoder.xenexbd.com/tutorial/readwrite-on-mac-osx-partition-from-ubuntu.html
http://superuser.com/questions/84446/how-to-mount-a-hfs-partition-in-ubuntu-as-read-write