Wednesday, June 29, 2011

CentOS 5.6 unexpected inconsistency how to repair?

SkyHi @ Wednesday, June 29, 2011
This morning I found that my server was not responding and wasn't able to connect to it in anyway to do a safe reboot. I had to do pull the plug to reboot. Upon rebooting everything appeared to be normal up till booting CentOS. Below is a screenshot of what I have.
CentOS file system error
The HDD's are not reporting any errors so this appears to me that something has corrupted. I haven't a clue what to do next. How can I get this system back up and running?
The server is only used as an rsync offsite backup drive. Reinstalling is an option but only as a last resort as the server is holding 1TB of backup data and to re-sync that it would take a month to do over our office connection.

You've experienced some filesystem corruption. From where you are, you can probably run fsck -y / to kick off the process of filesystem repair, based on the image you attached. The -y answers yes to the questions the fsck command will probably output. Try this first.

REFERENCES
http://serverfault.com/questions/285397/centos-5-6-unexpected-inconsistency-how-to-repair