Mac OS X use the following directories to start various services (quoting from the man page):
- /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/ - System-wide daemons provided by Mac OS X
- /System/Library/LaunchAgents/ - Per-user agents provided by Mac OS X.
- ~/Library/LaunchAgents/ - Per-user agents provided by the user.
- /Library/LaunchAgents/ - Per-user agents provided by the administrator.
- /Library/LaunchDaemons/ - System-wide daemons provided by the administrator.
cd /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/ ls -l ls -l | lessOR
cd /System/Library/LaunchAgents/ ls -l ls -l | less
How Do I Disable Unnecessary Services?You need to use the launchctl command as follows:
sudo launchctl unload -w /path/to/.plist/file sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/file.plistIn this example, you are disabling the Bonjour service, enter:
sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponderHelper.plist
If you don’t fancy using the shell then there’s a GUI tool called Lingon…
- launchctl(1) man page.