After researching many Forums on this issue, the solution that eventually worked for me was as follows:
1) In MS Outlook 2007, click on 'Tools'
2) Move mouse over 'Send/Receive' to bring up additional menu
3) Move mouse over 'Send/Receive settings' to bring up additional menu.
4) Click on 'Define Send/Receive Groups'
5) Under the Setting for Group "All accounts", uncheck box which reads "Schedule an automatic/send receive every....".
I also unchecked the box under "Schedule an automatic/send receive every...." under 'When Outlook is Offline'
The only issue now is that I have to click the "Send/Receive" icon on the main Outlook toolbar to send and receive e-mail messages, but this is not a problem for me. Since doing this, I have not received the IMAP error.
The original post for this solution can be found at:
Please post a reply to let people know whether this solution works for you so that this thread is complete.