What ports need to be open for Samba to communicate with other windows/linux systems?
Q. What ports need to be open for Samba to communicate with other windows/linux systems? I need to configure Linux firewall so I need the exact port names.
A. You can get list of ports from file called /etc/services. For your ease of use here are ports you need to open for two-way samba communication with Windows and Linux desktop systems.
* netbios-ns - 137/tcp # NETBIOS Name Service
* netbios-dgm - 138/tcp # NETBIOS Datagram Service
* netbios-ssn - 139/tcp # NETBIOS session service
* microsoft-ds - 445/tcp # if you are using Active Directory
* Port 389 (TCP) - for LDAP (Active Directory Mode)
* Port 445 (TCP) - NetBIOS was moved to 445 after 2000 and beyond, (CIFS)
* Port 901 (TCP) - for SWAT service (not related to client communication)
See this url for Iptables rules for SAMBA/CIFS clients.